Honest, that’s all she wanted. Lara really liked her kitchen, but the one thing that was missing was a dishwasher.
And that made entertaining (which she loves to do) a real pain in the neck.
Installing a dishwasher was well within the Daddy Can Do list, but try as we might we couldn’t figure any way to install a dishwasher that didn’t require changing her sink.
And if you had to move the sink, you had to replace the counters.
And if you had to replace the counters, you also had to reconfigure the cabinets.
So before we knew it, we were at sitting at the Lowes kitchen design center talking about doing the whole shooting match. Because really, if you’re going to do your kitchen, you might as well DO your kitchen!
She lined up her financing, got a really good deal on some gorgeous cabinets, shopped around for the best deal on appliances (hey, no point putting an old stove next to a spankin’ new dishwasher in a new kitchen, right?), and hired Dad as her General Contractor (because he’s just that kind of guy!). All of this happened when we were hanging around here off and on in October, and we made plans to return after our November project and hang around until the job was done – probably through Christmas anyway. And now that we’re back, and the job has begun, we’re really glad that we’ve got LOTS of time to get the job done.
Did I mention that her house was built in 1919? Never underestimate the number of surprises you will uncover when you start tearing up floors and removing walls in an almost century old house!
First the floor –
We were hoping that underneath the quarry tile floor would be the original wood floors (that are throughout the rest of the house) and they would be in good enough shape to refinish.
First sign of trouble was this huge patch in the middle of the floor –
And then there was the fact that under the quarry tile was a blue and white linoleum tile, a layer of backer board, a layer of red linoleum tile and then tar paper.
Yeah, the “refinishing the wood floors” was rapidly becoming “let’s go tile shopping!”
Deciding not to worry about keeping the floors in one piece did allow for easier removal of the floor in general, and would allow Gary the opportunity to make sure the floor was good and level. But more on that later!
Once the tiles were removed, it was on to the (what we thought was) the real demolition – getting the cabinets out and removing any extraneous walls. Our good SOWER buddies, Roy and Jo Butler, were kind enough to join us for the demo, and with the addition of the housemates and a friend or two stopping by, it was quite the productive day!
Just what IS holding these cabinets here?
At last! And just what is behind those cabinets?
Once the cabinets were out it was on to finish removing the partion wall, get the rest of the tile up, remove the drywall and cute backsplash tiles and get ready to pull up that floor!
Ah, yes, the floor.
You can’t really see it in this picture, but most of those joists aren’t even attached to the side wall. Pretty much the weight of the floor and cabinets kept the joists on the sills, but it helps explain why the floor tiles were cracking in different areas.
And while it will make certain electrical, gas line, and water line changes easier, actually rebuilding the floor from the dirt up wasn’t exactly in the budget. Somehow the “miscellaneous” column just ballooned!
But then again, you never know what you might find when you expose those ancient walls –
The sink plumbing could certainly use an upgrade, and will benefit from all new flooring.
Uh, my computer was plugged into this outlet.
I think this connection could be handled just a little bit neater.
Hopefully we’ve identified all of the trouble spots (“hopefully” being the operative word here!), and tomorrow Gary will begin work on the floor joists. Today he hooked up a utility sink in the laundry room – a great addition to our “temporary kitchen” (um, an electric frying pan, a crockpot, and a George Foreman Grill!), and he was even able to reuse one of the kitchen cabinets for a base!
There is a long way to go – and I’ll try to keep you’all updated as work progresses. If you’d like to see more pictures, there are several more HERE!
Oh, and Lara wants me to make sure to note that the red checked apron was functional only. It was the only thing she had that had a pocket in it for all the nails she was pulling out. What’s a girl to do! 🙂