So in three days and a wake-up, we’ll be wrapping up our time here in Waco and heading north to Ohio to celebrate Christmas with the rest of the kiddos and grands. And all I can say is WAIT – where did our Waco time go????? Has it really been two months since we arrived? Just what did we do all that time? (I obviously haven’t been doing a very good job with blogging!) Well, here are some of the highlights –
- We watched a 2 man crew from Window World replace 32 windows in about 12 hours. And do an excellent job to boot!
- We had a lovely Thanksgiving – getting to know some neighbors while we feasted outside on the deck!
- I made a quick trip east in early December to ‘crash’ the wedding of a dear SOWER friend.
The wedding surprise was wonderful, and the fact that I also got to spend time with my sister, worked in a lunch with my college roommate and got to see several extended family members – well, it was a very special weekend indeed!
- After Gary picked me up at the airport, we took a little mini-getaway and connected with some dear SOWER friends who were working nearby.
Here we are with the requisite group shot – complete with an elf photo-bomber!
- Santa made an early delivery of a couple of boxes of wood and hardware that were destined to be a swing set.
Three days later, with three adults working on it –
sure enough! A swing set!!!
Merry Christmas, Waco littles!
- We tackled painting the front porch. It had long needed a fresh coat of paint, but with the addition of those fancy new windows, it really seemed like the time had come.
Of course, now the house looks like it needs to be painted……
- We got to help when there was a small gas leak, and the gas was turned off (i.e. no heat or hot water). It took two days to solve the problem and mostly we just hung around waiting for the service guys to come and shared blankets, but Pops was able to help a little. =)
And the good news is that the problem was solved and the heat restored BEFORE the Polar Vortex hit (it was 23 this morning!). Phew, that was a close one!
- But of course, for all the chores done and projects completed, the best moments were moments like these –
We’ve had a great two months here in Wacotown and can hardly believe that our time here is drawing to a close. We’ve gotten to know our sweet Texas grandboys better, and even had some quality time with the grown-ups! It’s never quite enough, though, is it? But time marches on!!
These last few days will go fast! Since we’re only taking the truck north to Ohio and then will be heading off to our January SOWER project right after we return to Waco, we need to not only pack for our time in the cold north (always a stretch when you’re used to bringing EVERYTHING you own with you), but we also need to get the house mostly ready to move. AND get it semi-winterized since we won’t be here to manage any cold snaps (like today!). Plus we need to squeeze in some final precious moments with the kids.
I bet you have a busy week ahead, too! So thanks for stopping by – and in case I don’t get back here before the end of the week – have a very Merry Christmas!!